I feel like its been entirely too long since I last posted, but I swear I have an excuse — more about that at the end of the post, but for now… these HUSHPUPPIES!
Are you southern??
I am, and have grown up with hushpuppies all of my life… and I’ve loved them all my life! Once I’ve gotten older though, I’ve grown to love the more unique versions. I love the ones with jalapenos or crab stuffed inside.
Now, of you’re not southern or from the US, you may not have a single clue as to what I’m talking about when I say hushpuppy.. or you may have a different name for these things. It is basically a fried ball of cornmeal batter. I like to use the base recipe from allrecipes.com with cornmeal, buttermilk, and flour – because it makes a perfect light batter.
Once the batter is mixed, you scoop it out with a melon baller or tablespoon and drop it in some hot oil until they’re fried golden brown.
Here, I’ve added some shrimp and scallops from my local seafood shop, and some green onions for some color and light onion flavor. I hope you enjoy!
Now for my excuse about the lull in blogging… I’ve been blogging somewhere else :-O !
I know, I know… but I’ve discovered a little thing called bullet journaling, and I’ve decided to share all I know by making a website about it! You can view the site here or find my Instagram here (@bulleteverything). I initially started the bullet journal to keep up with all of my food-blogging and life to-do’s.. but I’ve turned the website into more of the priority for the last month or so, and hopefully can find a good balance between blogs soon.
If you’re interested at all in what the heck a bullet journal even is, head to the website and check it out. It is my replacement for a planner and to-do list, and helps as an additional creative outlet for me.
If you’re just interested in the hushpuppies… see the recipe below! :)
- Heat the canola oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan to about 365 degrees F.
- Combine cornmeal. Flour, sugar, baking soda, ancho chili powder, crushed red pepper, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk buttermilk, vegetable oil and eggs in a separate bowl. Stir wet mixture into the dry mixture. Fold in shrimp, scallops and green onions. .
- Lay out some paper towels and place a cooling rack over them.
- When oil is heated drop 7 or 8 tablespoon sized scoops of batter into the oil. Fry 6-8 minutes or until they’re brown. Remove to cooling rack.
- Continue with the rest of the batter. (Keep warm in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve.)
- Whisk all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Let sit in fridge until ready to serve.
Find That Square Plate on social media:
Facebook · Instagram · Twitter · Foodspotting · Tumblr · E-mail
Be sure to subscribe to receive a
Excited to share another awesome project that includes one of my recipes! This is The Great Big Book of Green Smoothies that’s just gone on sale for only $5. It features over 40 Green Smoothie easy-to-follow recipes from some of the web’s best food bloggers, and a picture to go along with each.
Click the picture to find out more!
View my other e-books HERE.