I love a good salad… not just a lettuce and dressing kind of salad… but like a lettuce + the rest of the salad bar + cheese + dressing kind of salad. I usually will pile my salad on when I’m going to the salad bar… not like everything, but just everything I like. This salad was a perfect light lunch with awesome fresh ingredients and a super-yummy dressing!
So, I’m helping some other ladies host a giveaway for this awesome, AWESOME cookbook New England Farmgirl by Jessica Robinson [buy hardcover / buy Kindle]. She blogs at Carolina Farmhouse Kitchen. Check out other recipes from the book and their blogs below:
- Johlene at Flavours and Frosting (host) — Black Cherry Oatmeal Bars
- Paige at Where Latin Meets Lagniappe — Caramelized Pear Salad
- Jennifer at JenniferMeyering.com — Apple Spice Bread
I got a chance to peek inside the cookbook, and snag this awesome recipe. I wanted to make this salad because of all of the fresh ingredients… that, and the PAN-FRIED GOAT CHEESE. It was the perfect warm/crispy topping for the salad.
I used her recipe for a Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing, which was brilliant, simple, and delicious! You can use any type of balsamic vinaigrette, or just drizzle some balsamic vinegar and olive oil over the top!
I love all of the colors in this salad! The flavors go together brilliantly as well: balsamic dressing with the goat cheese and a strawberry… How perfect does that sound?The perfect bite is to fill your fork with one of each topping… trust me you won’t regret it… All the flavors! I actually left out the cherry tomatoes in this version (I didn’t have any more in the fridge). This is actually my second take of this recipe, as I wasn’t super happy with the first pictures :-/ — or maybe it’s because I wanted to fry up the rest of the goat cheese, and add some leaves, carrots, nuts and berries, and indulge once again, I don’t know. Anyways, the point is, this salad is delicious, and you should try it. And enter for your chance to win the cookbook, which includes a ton of stellar-looking recipes using super fresh ingredients.Also, here, used candied pecans instead of the regular pecans… really just for the hell of it, and pecans are another new-ish ‘like’ for me. But they’re amazing candied, or covered in white chocolate…obviously.
- Toss together greens, onion, tomatoes, carrots, strawberries, pecans and balsamic vinaigrette in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg and milk together to make an egg wash in a pan or plate. Add bread crumbs and flour into separate containers. Roll the goat cheese slices in the flour, then in the egg wash, and then the breadcrumbs.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Cook the goat cheese until the outside turns golden, and serve on top of the salad.
- *You can buy your dressing or make your own balsamic vinaigrette with about 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. I added shallots, salt & pepper, and honey.
Enter the Giveaway for Jessica Robinson’s New England Farmgirl Cookbook: New England Cookbook Giveaway
Find That Square Plate on social media:
Facebook · Instagram · Twitter · Foodspotting · Tumblr · E-mail
Be sure to subscribe to receive a
Excited to share another awesome project that includes one of my recipes! This is The Great Big Book of Green Smoothies that's just gone on sale for only $5. It features over 40 Green Smoothie easy-to-follow recipes from some of the web's best food bloggers, and a picture to go along with each.
Click the picture to find out more!
View my other e-books HERE.