Who doesn’t love fried potatoes?
This is my first time ever making latkes, but they were super easy, super delicious, and definitely worth the time. They’re especially easy if you have a food processor to grate up your potatoes and onion!
This recipe is from a Food & Wine Annual Cookbook (2015 Edition). The latkes are cooked twice: once in the oven, then again in the fryer to make ’em all crispy. THEN, top with even more thinly-sliced fried onions. Serve with a super-simple, shallot sour cream sauce, and you have yourself the perfect little appetizer or side dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream with the minced shallot. Season with salt and pepper, and place in fridge until time to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a food processor, shred potatoes and onion. Transfer to a strainer over a bowl and season with 1 tablespoon salt. Let stand for 5 minutes, then squeeze dry in a paper towel. Pour off the liquid in the bowl and add the potatoes and onion. Stir in the egg, egg yolk, butter and cornstarch.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop 1/3 cup mounds of the potatoes onto the baking sheet and flatten them to 1/4-inch thick.Bake 15 minutes, until just set. Let cool, and set oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 350 degrees F. Fry sweet onions until golden (about 4 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a paper-towel lined baking sheet to drain. Keep warm in the oven.
- Reheat oil to 350 degrees F, and fry the latkes, turning a few times until brown and crisp (4-5 minutes). Transfer to serving dish and serve with sour cream and chives.
Find That Square Plate on social media:
Facebook · Instagram · Twitter · Foodspotting · Tumblr · E-mail
Be sure to subscribe to receive a
Excited to share another awesome project that includes one of my recipes! This is The Great Big Book of Green Smoothies that’s just gone on sale for only $5. It features over 40 Green Smoothie easy-to-follow recipes from some of the web’s best food bloggers, and a picture to go along with each.
Click the picture to find out more!
View my other e-books HERE.