Merry Christmas everyone! We had a great one today. Rocky was surprised with his new golf cart. That was the big event of the day. His first vehicle — pretty exciting.. next it’ll be a car, and that’s pretty scary, really. Not that he’ll be driving, just the fact that he’s old enough to!
Anyways, our Christmas tradition is to visit my grandmother’s house on Christmas Day for a super-yummy seafood feast. Today (and almost every year) we had shrimp & crab gumbo, West Indies Salad, fried fish, fried oysters, and fried shrimp (we’re in the South afterall), bread, green salad, pickled shrimp, some kinda greens, corn, hashbrown casserole, and well.. I think that’s it.
She requested I make a seafood dip, so I got some crab from Publix — just the lump crabmeat, and figured I’d make a creamy, cheesy crab dip. Because really, seafood, cheese, and dips are like three of the best things ever, so I hope you understand where I’m coming from when I say this was absolutely amazing.Saute your minced shallot in the butter and add red pepper flakes and saffron near the end of the cooking process.
You then add this to the rest of the ingredients (fold in crab last), and mix it all up. Season with salt and pepper before folding in your crab.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallot and saute until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Add saffron and red pepper flakes and saute one minute more. Set aside.
- In a mixer or large bowl, add cream cheese, creme fraiche, mayonnaise, shredded Fontina cheese, and sherry vinegar. Add the shallot/butter mixture, and mix all together until combined. Season with salt and pepper (to taste)
- Fold in the crab meat until just combined.
- Pour into a baking dish. I used a 10-inch round baking dish.
- Top with remaining Fontina cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F or until bubbly.
- Then broil on high for 3-5 minutes until top starts to brown how you want it.
- Remove from oven, and garnish with chives.
- Serve with crackers or bread.
Find That Square Plate on social media:
Facebook · Instagram · Twitter · Foodspotting · Tumblr · E-mail
Be sure to subscribe to receive a
Excited to share another awesome project that includes one of my recipes! This is The Great Big Book of Green Smoothies that's just gone on sale for only $5. It features over 40 Green Smoothie easy-to-follow recipes from some of the web's best food bloggers, and a picture to go along with each.
Click the picture to find out more!
View my other e-books HERE.