Well I thought it was time for another Fried Green Tomato recipe! I see these on Southern menus all the time, but I always make a reason not to get them, like I can easily make these at home. I try to eat semi-healthy [MOST of the time]… so I always find a reason not to order. (Except maybe on a special occasion)
So anyways, I picked up some green tomatoes Saturday and brought them home.. thinking maybe I’d fry ’em up at some point over the weekend.
It didn’t take long… our spaghetti dinner plans changed after I decided to make these bad boys. I researched a bit online to find some good recipes, but then ended up getting a good idea of what I needed.
First, I learned to make sure they are dried off after they are sliced and before they’re fried. I salted the tomatoes before I prepared the batter bowls, and dried them off right before I dredged them. The salt helps bring the moisture out before they get all battered up!
I dredged the tomatoes in flour, then an egg/buttermilk mixture, and finally in a cornmeal/Panko breadcrumb mix. I have some nice little Pampered Chef Breading trays, which can be found on Amazon here. They’re lightweight, and perfect for setting up a little dredging station. :)
The layers of the batter made a perfect crunchy outer layer for the tomatoes. The eggs/buttermilk acts as a glue for the tomatoes and the batter, and they turned out just swell! The batter stayed on nicely, and they had a wonderful, warm, salty crunch.
My favorite place around here to get fried green tomatoes is the Original Oyster House in Gulf Shores. They had this dish called “Fried Green Tomatoes Bayou Style” with this amazing shrimp remoulade sauce on the top. I don’t think they have it anymore as I was just looking at their menu, but I found a picture I took of the a few years ago. Oh M Gee. So good.
Makes my mouth water!
Also, one of my first posts was a fried green tomato w/ shrimp remoulade sauce — click to view it!
If you’ve never had a fried green tomato, I suggest you get your southern on, and get to it!
Indulge. You won’t regret it!
- Lay tomatoes on paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix all sauce ingredients together and set aside. Whisk in more buttermilk if you want a thinner consistency.
- Bowl 1: 1 cup flour
- Bowl 2: Whisk two eggs & buttermilk together, add Tabasco and black pepper
- Bowl 3: Add cornmeal and panko
- Dry tomato slices off with a paper towel (to remove excess moisture), and dredge each slice in flour, then egg mixture, and finally cornmeal until all are coated.
- Fill large skillet with oil about 1-2 inch, and heat oil to 375 degrees. Fry tomatoes, a few at a time until golden and crispy (about 3 minutes on each side). Dry on paper towels, and keep warm in 200^ oven if necessary. Serve with dill sauce.
Find That Square Plate on social media:
Facebook · Instagram · Twitter · Foodspotting · Tumblr · E-mail
Be sure to subscribe to receive a
Excited to share another awesome project that includes one of my recipes! This is The Great Big Book of Green Smoothies that’s just gone on sale for only $5. It features over 40 Green Smoothie easy-to-follow recipes from some of the web’s best food bloggers, and a picture to go along with each.
Click the picture to find out more!
View my other e-books HERE.